Salicylic acid is a colorless, crystalline organic carboxylic acid, prepared by Kolbe synthesis. Salicylic acid is used to treat many skin disorders such as acne, dandruff, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis of the skin and scalp, calluses, corns, common warts, and plantar warts, depending on the dosage form and strength of the preparation.
When skin cells inside hair follicles, shed too fast and clump together by plugging up the follicle cause acne. Salicylic acid slows down the shedding of the cells inside the follicles to prevent clogging. Salicylic acid also helps break down blackheads and whiteheads.
Salicylic acid is available in the following forms:
- Topical solution
The common side effects of Salicylic acid are:
- Severe redness or ulceration specially on the hands or feet
- Inflammation, irritation, or infection of the skin
- Chicken pox
- Using this medicine for a long time can cause liver or kidney diseases
When using salicylic acid, do not use any of the following medicines:
- Abrasive soaps or cleansers
- Alcohol-containing medicines
- Any other topical acne solutions containing benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol, sulfur, or tretinoin.
- Medicated cosmetics
To use any of the products containing aforementioned ingredients, consult your doctor first.
Popular Acne Products on Amazon